Before beginning to install the wiring harness, there are a few things that I do to make the install work go much quicker and easier. Here's the short list:
- Place the motorcycle on the center stand. I also like to place 4 inch × 4 inch wood blocks under each leg of the center stand to raise it up higher to work on. Before doing this, I always use a rope to secure the center stand to the front wheel (to prevent the center stand from accidentally retracting).
- Remove the side covers
- Remove the battery
- Remove the starter
- Remove the seat
- Remove the fuel tank
- Unbolt - but do not remove - the dash
- Remove the trim ring and headlight from the headlight bucket
- Remove the rear wheel (or at least remove the axle and drop it down so you have much better access to the inside of the rear fender)
Before you remove the old harness, take detailed photos of everything. Yes, I provide instructions, but having photos of a real installation on your motorcycle is invaluable.
- Now you can remove all of the original harnesses that you are going to replace.
I highly recommend a thorough evaluation of your fuse box. Please see the topic Fuse block - keep it from melting.