Center stand stop tab
Moto Guzzi V700, V7 Special, Ambassador, 850 GT, 850 GT California, Eldorado, and 850 California Police models
The stop tab that is welded to the left side of the frame is easily broken off. Unbeknownst to me, mine was already broken off when I took the frame to be powder coated. Only later did I discover my mistake (ah, the things one learns with experience).
Replacement tab to weld in place
I made a replacement tab using an existing stop tab as a pattern. I've included a drawing below for those of you who may need it.
- Center stand stop tab
Welding alternative - using a clamp on the crossover pipe as a center stand stop tab
If you forgot to check/repair your center stand stop tab before you had your frame powder coated, you've got a couple of choices. You can always just weld it up and apply paint to the affected area. Alternatively, you could do what Joel Parks did. In Joel's own words:
This is my inelegant solution to the broken tang issue. As you can see, I used a longer bolt and put two nuts on it so I can adjust the length. Then I used a tank rubber from an old Triumph motorcycle as a stop and covered the top of the bolt with a small rubber cap, like the kind we use on the carburetor vacuum takeoff. It's held up for many miles and I didn't need to weld anything.
Welding alternative - bolt-on center stand stop tab
Thanks to Charlie Mullendore of Antietam Classic Cycle for sending me his information about his bolt-on center stand stop tab. In Charlie's own words:
I've been meaning to figure out how to make one of these for some time. A customer's nice Ambassador is missing the original and the owner didn't want me to mess up the original paint when welding another on. So, I drew up a quick sketch and bought a chunk of 3 inch × 3 inch × 1⁄4 inch thick steel angle. McMaster-Carr part number 9017K734.
With a broken bandsaw and no oxygen or acetylene for the torch, cutting the angle proved a challenge. Fortunately, my brother left behind thechop sawhe built in high school. Took me two hours to get it working again, but it beat using a hacksaw. Still needed to use it, but a whole lot less.
Two hours later, I've roughed out a pretty workable stop. Rounded off the edges and corners with the angle grinder, smoothed the edges with a file and deburred with the wire wheel on the bench grinder. Primed and painted it today, looks and works good. Forgot to make ameasured drawingfor next time, so I'll pull it back off and draw one up.